[Previous] [Next] [Index] [Thread]

RE: losers .. Auto remail on a Web server?? how do people get on this list?

Come on guys!!!

I agree that there are several silly things that happen on a mail list, and
that none of us really like seeing them, but there are better ways than to
make the list harder to access.  If you want a list like you speak of, then
collect the names and addresses of those you like to exchange information
with, and create your own manual list.  My guess is that you will not do
this because you subscribed to the list because you want to reach as many
people in the world with similar knowledge.  You have to keep in mind that
not all people who know about www security know about email and lists.
 These people are going to make mistakes.  Also, there are several people on
mail lists which may not be capable of fully understanding large email
charters written in English, so are you willing to translate the document
into all languages of the participating mail list users?

What I suggest is that if you want to police the list, then when you see
someone doing something that does not follow the policy, then *KINDLY* let
them know.  If this does not work, then I would suggest letting the list
owner know.  Of course, this will require a list owner who is willing to
enforce the charter as well.  Finally, if problems continue to occur, boot
the suckers out.  I have seen other mail lists where entire domains were
excluded because of various reasons (i.e., all of AOL because of a
incompatibility that generated extremely large non-text files).

 --- Ed.Hamilton@lmco.com